Monday, February 13, 2017

A GREY & OVERCAST, BUT DRY, START TO THE WEEK IN SUNNY MANILVA ON MONDAY.

MONDAY 13th/ FEBRUARY 2017.

























I was up early this morning to welcome back little princess ‘ Reina’ with us for the day, she shot upstairs and went back to bed with us for a nice long lie in, she’s being collected later this evening as Lee & Daniela have a works party in Gibraltar, at the moment she’s back in her duvet on the settee, after our regular breakfast we sorted ourselves out for the day and week ahead.'Chispa' called in later to see us and her friend.

Tomorrow morning Brenda is going down on the local bus to Sabinillas as she has an appointment at the hairdressers for an cut & blow, then on Wednesday afternoon we are back at the hospital for Brenda two appointments, on Friday morning I will be out on my travels for the weekly shopping down in Sabinillas.

Yesterday evening and during the night we had more heavy rain storms, a couple of days ago on the main weather forecast/programme on ‘TVE1’ Manilva was shown as the wettest place in Spain! This morning its stopped, at the moment, it’s still grey & overcast, with the sun breaking through,but there is a little wind, making it rather mild, the forecast is for more rain later and then the rest of the week and over the weekend is looking dry but cloudy with the sun breaking through at times, we will find out later what the details are on the main afternoon news, watch this space.

This evening for our supper we are having ‘ Escalope of Pork Fillet Schnitzels’ – using local breadcrumbs from the bakery, after pan-frying them in foaming butter I will finish them ‘ Holstein’ style – topped with Fried Eggs & Capers & Anchovy Fillets, lots of Lemon wedges on the side, with some finely sliced Green Beans and resting on a bed of ‘ Spaghetti Milanese’ – using my famous Tomato Salsa with shredded Smoked Ham added.

Today my nostalgia is about ‘ Queens Square’ in Liverpool back in the 1950/60s – it was the ‘Wholesale Fruit, Vegetable & Flower Market’ that took place from Monday to Saturday, I was taken there by my Mum & her Brother, as a young boy, who were both florists, my mum has three shops in Bootle and her brother had one in Bootle and one in Ormskirk, he was also the ‘ Head Florist’ at the ‘ Adelphi Hotel ‘ for over 40 years!







The market was set up everyday from 2-00 am in the morning, the lorries arrived from all over the country as well as the deliveries from the docks and the airport, then all the produce was sent out to all the retailers etc, by 3-00 pm it was all cleared away and became a car park my first full-time job after leaving ‘Catering College’ in Liverpool was as an ‘Junior Sous Chef ‘ at the ‘ White Lion Hotel’ in Bala, North Wales, on my day-off I used to catch the local Vegetable truck from the village, at 2-00 am, as it went to the market, I was the able to get home to Aintree for the day and then catch a train back in the evening to Bala, all this took place in front of the famous ‘ Stork Hotel ‘ where I ended up as the Manager in the mid 60s




.


  

On my first day at the hotel as a ‘Trainee Manager’ I walked down the steps to buy the days fruit & vegetables, Mr Saltmarsh, one of the man market suppliers, recognized me in my ‘Black & Pinstripes’ and put a ‘Red Rose’ in my lapel, a tradition that I carried on for the rest of my working life, see the picture below of the market in front of the hotel.






At this time back in the 60s the area around ‘Queens Square ‘ was also the recognized “ Gay ‘ Quarter in Liverpool, all the local famous pubs where the meeting place as well as the ‘Stork Hotels Cocktail Bar & Lounge’ – ‘The Roebuck, The Trojens Head, The Spanish House, The Magic Clock, The Legs of Man and The Royal Court Bar ‘ - to name just a few!








As I’ve said before ‘ Happy Days & Happy Memories ‘




















Thoughts for the Day; See above.


..


No comments: