Saturday, June 20, 2020

" CHAMPAGNE MEMORIES FROM THE PAST YEARS "


SATURDAY 20/th JUNE 2020.





“ CHAMPAGNE MEMORIES OF TIMES PAST “
















As the weekends celebrations ‘kick-in’ we are remained about all the times in the past as we lived the ‘Good-Life’ in the ‘ Champagne Style with a Cider Income ‘ – many “ Happy Days & Memories “ – with only the ‘ Corks’ left to remember the bottles!


My first taste of Champagne was back in 1965, at the 'Stork Hotel ' in Queens square in Liverpool, as I found in the old cellars 12 bottles of a vintage ' Krug' that were not on the stock sheets! 


In no particular order; we flew by private jet to the ‘Bollinger’ chateau in the small village of Ay – Madame Lily Bollinger- said the now famous  quote ‘ I drink it when I’m happy, and when I’m sad, Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone, when I have company it’s obligatory, a trifle if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am, otherwise I never touch it – unless I’m thirsty’!


We had lunch in Epernay in the family ‘Trianon’ of Moet & Chandon’ – served by waiters ‘ House Style’ in White Gloves. where a ‘ French Count’ showed me how to open a bottle of ‘ Moet & Chandon’ with a Sabre!  I can be ‘ Hired’ to now do this!!


We visited the Chateau of the ‘ Taittinger’  family outside Reims, where their cellars are, for a ‘ Michelin *** ‘ lunch with different Champagnes, all with the famous effervescent mousse!



At over five ‘Michelin’ starred restaurants we drank various great champagnes, including while staying at the “ Royal Champagne Hotel “ above Epernay, sitting at the table where the ‘ Queen Mother’ her favourite a ‘ Magnum of Moet & Chandon’-  (2 bottles) the largest we have drunk was a ‘Salmanazar’ (12) of ‘Pol Roger’ – Winston Churchill’s favourite (Two Bottle a day) – when he died they placed a Black border around the White label!


See below the sizes of all the bottles;










Some pictures below of some of them!

























































....

No comments: