Friday, April 13, 2018

A VERY WET & COLD SUNNY MANILVA ON FRIDAY AT THE START OF THE WEEKEND.


FRIDAY 13th / APRIL 2018. !



































I was up early this morning and after a quick freshen up I shot off on my travels to catch the local bus down to Sabinillas, just beating the rain, I then wait for the ‘ English Bookshop’ to open so as I can collect the local English newspapers, before walking along to ‘Mercadona’ for our main weekly shop. As I reach the cash desk I ask them to call a Taxi to take me back up to the house, by then it was raining hard! After un-loading I had a welcome mug of strong tea and lightly buttered toast to settle me down for the day ahead!

As I set off this morning it was grey & overcast with the black clouds on the horizon, with a light breeze bringing in the latest rain storms, it now looks like they are in for the rest of the day, as forecast, by lunchtime it will be just 15 degs+ - cold for the time of the year, then over the weekend it’s now looking dry, warm & settled, with the sun back with us, just a few clouds in the blue sky, reaching 21/23 degs+ by the middle of next week, about time too! Watch this space.





This evening for our supper I have treated ourselves to a Whole ‘Rodaballo - Turbot ‘ – the ‘ Queen’ of Fish – the Fishmonger took the four large Fillets off the bone after cleaning the fish, it was the first ‘ Rodaballo’ of the season and had just arrived at the fish market counter, I will Pan-Sear of Bake the Fillets, lightly dusted in season flour, this evening, depending if they fit in my Fish Cooking Pan, finishing them ‘A La Meuniere’ style ( in the style of the ‘ Miller’s wife!)  with a burnt Lemon/ Caper& Parsley Butter, the ‘ wife’ has prepared Broccoli Florets, Asparagus Spears & Garden Peas ( a Green extravaganza!) with Parsley New Potatoes! ( more Green!)





This afternoon we will be watching the second day of the ‘Grand National Festival ‘ from Aintree, with the excellent coverage from ‘ITV’ – the course is looking very ‘ green’ after all the rain, it’s ‘ Ladies Day’ with the main race, the ‘Topham Chase’ over the Grand National fences, including the famous ‘ Chair’ and of course ‘ Becher’s Brook’ – then ‘ Valentine’s Brook’ before the ‘ Foinavon’ fence and the ‘ Canal Turn’

Iv'e told the story before about Aintree Racecourse'- as a child I used to play on the course, Mirabel Topham, the owner used to chase us ! I was taken into the famous 'Adelphi Hotel ' on 'Grand National Saturday' to see the flower decorations, as my Uncle was the Head Florist' for nearly 50 years!  For many years I would ride along the 'Melling Road ' across the middle of the course, on our bikes, with my Dad, on our way out to the hills of Lancashire. While I was at the ' Stork Hotel' we had the winning owners staying with us one year, a memorable night/ day followed! Our house in Aintree, in later years was just behind ' Becher's Brook' - you could see it on the TV. Happy Days and many Happy Memories!


 See below;






















After supper this evening we will channel-hop to find something to watch.




















Thoughts for the Day;  See above.



...

No comments: