Thursday, January 28, 2016

A COOL & OVERCAST THURSDAY IN SUNNY MANILVA;

THURSDAY 28th/ JANUARY 2016.









Just a little lie in this morning as ‘Reina’ was due back with us for the day, she is also here tomorrow, she’s on a diet at the moment and is sleeping a lot in her duvets, at lunchtime she pops down for a little snack! Its a little overcast today and also cooler, we definitively had the best two days ,so far this year, as we were out playing with David & Jane down here on the ‘Costa Del Sol’ The forecast for Friday is looking a little damp but then its picking up over the weekend.

We are having an at home day taking things very easy after all the excitement of the past two days, this evening we are having for supper my special ‘Manilva Tower Burger’ with twice-cooked ‘Frits’

So for today’s Blog I’ve posted some pictures and written a little about the old  “ Stork Hotel “ from my early days as a Trainee Manager, Trainee Assistant Manager, Assistant Manager and finally a Senior Assistant Manager/ Day Manager! All this was back in 1964/68 with my dear Spanish friend from Madrid Rafael one step ahead of me! The hotel was on one side of ‘Queen Square’ in front of the ‘Royal Court Theatre’

The wholesale Fruit/Flower & Vegetable Market set up on the square overnight from 3-00am in the morning; my very first job on my first day at the hotel, dressed in Pinstripes, Black jacket and stiff White Collar & a Silver Tie was to come down the front steps and go and order the goods for the chef from the market, I was greeted by one of the Flower Market owners as he had known me from a child when I used to go down to the market with my mother, who had two flower shops and my Uncle, her brother, who was the ‘Head Florist’ at the famous ‘Adelphi’ Hotel for over 50 years!  He placed a Red Rose in my lapel and from then on I always wore a Rose in all my business suits ( Handmade ) for the next 40 years!!

My first ‘taste’ of hotel life was when I was taken into the Adelphi Hotel through the kitchens on ‘Grand National Saturday’ and I saw 100s of chefs in their tall white hats ( a Toque! ) working over the coal fired stoves!! My other Uncle was a professional Carver on the Atlantic liners of the time, I still have his Pearl handled Carving Knife & Fork!

The hotel was owned by an Irish family ‘ The Clancy’s’ with the son Jack Jnr.- there during the week from 9-00am to 5.00pm only! It was very busy with a Restaurant, Grill Room, Meeting and Function Suits, Stock Rooms as well as a Lounge and a classic and famous Cocktail Bar; so all sorts of business, all the time, with lots of famous celebrity’s/actors/ local Gangsters and their ‘molls’ ladies that worked for pleasure and also the local Gay Community from the surrounding famous bars ie, ‘ The Magic Clock’!! 

The hotel was run on classic lines with Bell Boys, a Head Hall Porter, Lounge Waiters, a Head Waiter, a full Kitchen Brigade with still room maids etc.under the Head Chef. The Housekeeping was mainly ‘live in’ chambermaids from across Europe with the Reception staff also mainly from Austria! They lived in the old Haymarket building opposite the hotel over looking St. John’s Gardens behind St.Georges Hall.

See some pictures below, I will continue the story on tomorrows Blog with some stories of the goings on back in the 60s!!










Thought for the Day, See above.


..

No comments: