Monday, February 28, 2011

MANILVA ON ANDALUCIA DAY.

MANILVA ON ANDALUCIA DAY – PART THREE.

As the day went on we popped back to the house for sustenance as it is also only a few yards above back to all the action; all the local Bars do a roaring trade as the day goes into the evening party. The first band on was made up of members of the Town Brass Band led by Fernando on Base Guitar and they play “Pasodoble ” music which is a great sound to get all the crowd singing along and the local ladies dancing, it creates a tremendous atmosphere as the evening draws in.

The second band on was a real surprise as they played all their numbers in English and I discovered later that the main lady singer was from Blackburn ! They have a terrific sound and perform all the great oldies, Ben E King and the Drifters, The Beatles, The Police and including a version of “ Perfect ” by Eddy Ryder ?! which was unbelievable. Near the end they did a Status Quo number which really got me going; of course all the locals just sit and watch as they don’t know the words and can’t dance to the songs so Brenda and I were in our element as we sang our hearts out to every tune, at one stage we started to jive to a rock and roll number and we ended up in front of the stage on our own as we are the only English people in the village ! At the end of the number we got a tremendous cheer and clap from all the locals and brought the house down !! When the Quo number came on I did my head banging/air guitar impersonation as well as some Dirty Dancing in front of the old ladies of the village – they loved it – so I am told ! As normal the pictures only give you a small view of the night’s entertainment,Manilva TV records everything but I don’t know if the got my performance! I’ve also been asked by the Chief of Police and some councilors for some copy pictures to put up on their walls !! Watch this space.


PS; I've been told that it was a standing ovation at the end of our jive !



.


.

No comments: