Monday, January 16, 2012

MANILVA OVER THE WEEKEND.

SUNDAY 15th JANUARY 2012.

On Sunday morning after our tea and toast I got our Sunday dinner ready; for a change we had a golden oldie “ Chicken Chasseur ” Over the last couple of weeks on Saturday Morning Kitchen they have been doing some of the old greats that I was brought up on in the kitchens. This week for instance it was “ Beef Strogonoff ”which was made the classic way as I was shown – so watch this space !

Anyway back to the Chicken Chasseur; I rough cut the Chicken,Leg,Thigh and Breast, into pieces and dusted it is seasoned flour and quickly browned it off in hot foaming butter then placed it on the side and made the sauce by cooking off the diced Onions and Baby Mushrooms cut in half and deglazing the pan with a good measure of White Wine. I then added the Tomato Sauce and Tomato Concasse that I had made earlier and flamed it with Brandy ! Then I added the Chicken Stock and Beef Demi-Glaze and seasoned to taste before thickening it with Beurre Manie – equal parts of Butter and Flour combined. I then added the Chicken pieces back into the sauce and left it to stand, in the evening it was cooked ‘ Casserole Style ’ quickly in a hot oven; Brenda had in the morning cooked and peeled the Baby New Potatoes and I then tossed them in foaming Butter to brown and sprinkled with chopped Parsley – another version of the classic ‘ Pommes Noisettes ’which we had with our last classic “ Petit Pois a la Flamande ” Baby Peas and Baby Carrots mixed. We sat down to another memorable meal, the Chicken Chasseur was very succulent and tasted just like we remembered and the Potatoes and Vegetables were spot on – even if we do say so ourselves !

Earlier in the day we went for a short walk with Cheta but she was still a little off colour so we stopped at Bar Rojas and Brenda cuddled her on her knee wrapped in her Poncho! We had a plate of ‘ Carne Merchada ’with Frits to pick at and then walked back to the house and Brenda took Cheta back to hers and put her to bed ! In the afternoon I watched the football in England, Liverpool played terrible in another goalless draw, this time against Stoke!

FILM WATCHING;

I must admit that we are watching a lot of films at the moment, the reason being is that we can ! As I have said before in a past life we did never see a film in its entirety, it was either the start or the end !! So now we have the time to see a picture from start to finish – Yesterday we saw “ Spartacus ”1960 with Kirk Douglas,Tony Curtis,Jean Simmons.Laurance Oliver,Peter Ustinov and Herbert Lom – they don’t have casts like that now ! The film won four Oscars. Then it was another great one “ The Guns of Navarone ” 1961 with another great cast led by Gregory Peck and finally after dinner “ King Kong ” which was the made for TV version from 1976 with in the starring roles a young Jessica Lange and Kurt Russell !


Thought for the Day;

I’am an idealist. I don’t know where I’ m going but I’m on my way.

..


.

No comments: