Saturday, June 02, 2007

NEWSFLASH

Wed/Sat 23rd/2nd May/June.
Today is the first time that I have been able to sit down at the table
and update our blog since the accident on Tuesday 22nd May.The
only place that I have had to sit and sleep in has been the armchair
with the foot rest because of the pain ! By Friday of last week some
problems had set in,my legs started to swell and the pain had got no
better so we had to call the ambulance, they decided that they could
not move me so gave me some shots and prescriptions to help.Over
the weekend it was not so bad and I was able to eat and move a little
with the help of the nurse,Brenda! who has had to also give me armchair
baths as time went on!! Things then went from bad to worse on Thursday
when my legs became very swollen over night,so we called in a doctor
from Estepona and he immediately advised me to go and have a scan
Asap as he suspected a problem with my Lungs and rib cage! We could
have called a ambulance but as it happens we have right next to us the most
up to date and private hospital in Southern Spain ! so we went in a taxi-100
metrs.next door! instead off going 30kms to the Main hospital were I had
been to after the fall.After the consultation and the scan they immediately
checked me in for 24hrs and arranged for a heart scan as they wanted to
check for damage and blood clots! which was a bit of a shock!!So I found
myself hooked up and on drips and being given injections over night to
help.On Thursday morning I was taken down to the heart consultant and
had a scan and ultra sound check as well as blood tests,At the same time
I was given liver and kidney tests.The out come was that there was no
damage to my heart-in fact he said the the exact opposite-everything was
in excellent condition and i was taken back upstairs to the room to await
further results.I had rung Brenda and told her the news before she returned
later in the morning so as we waited for the consultants results.We then had
another shock when a new doctor came in and introduced himself as the
intensive care consultant!!-but he immediately said it was good news not
bad! He had given a second opinion to all the results-my heart,liver and
kidneys are all ok! but the problem was that I had broken four or more ribs,
which had not shown up the first x-ray and had blood clots on the lung and
rib cage ! The bad news was that I would have to have an operation to re-
move the blood if it had increased after another x-ray.The good news was
that after a 2hr wait it would not be necessary to operate -it will go better
over time ,Our first consultant then arranged some new prescriptions and
also for another x-ray next week to check that everything is ok So we are
back at the Winnebago after a very traumatic 24hrs.It also means that we
will have to postpone our plans to leave by another week,ie,17th June to
give the ribs a chance to heal.

2 comments:

Al Thomas said...

Sorry to read about the accident. Hope you are on the mend OK.
Al and Jan in Rhos. XX.

Anonymous said...

Hope you will soon be on the mend Malcolm. You should be with "nurse Brenda" looking after you. Keep me posted as to when you may be passing through Bridgnorth
Love xx